How to make a Basil Smash Cocktail with Magpie Hill Gin
A “Basil Smash” is easy to make and a favourite here at the distillery. It also works beautifully with our “Maggie London Dry.”
The Basil Smash cocktail was created in the summer of 2008 by Jörg Meyer at Le Lion Bar de Paris in Hamburg, Germany where it was originally named Gin Pesto. Jörg blogged about the cocktails and it began to become popular, in which it soon became known as the Basil Smash.
Jörg, the creator of this drink said “Better too much, than not enough basil in this drink”.
Our method is using our handcrafted gorse infused gin, Magpie Hill.
What you need:
- 60ml of Magpie Hill London Dry Gin
- 22.5ml of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 22.5ml of Sugar Syrup
- Plenty of ice!
What you do:
- Add 6 lush leaves of basil and a few blocks of ice to a shaker
- Add the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup
- Shake it hard for 20 seconds (smashing up that basil!)
- Pour into short ice-filled tumbler glass
- Garnish with a basil sprig
- Drink it and love it.
Click here to watch our video!
Magpie Hill London Dry Gin captures the essence of this stunning location, with an infusion of hand-picked wild gorse flowers and local honey from bees which forage on the hill. Citrus gives way to subtle floral notes of rose and lavender delicately rounded by the fragrant gorse.